Chairperson Update - Tuesday 6 December 2016 (K Snaddon)

Keep up to date with events, happenings and information for members of the SA Wetland Society.
Marc de Fontaine
Site Admin

Chairperson Update - Tuesday 6 December 2016 (K Snaddon)

Post by Marc de Fontaine » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:24 am

Dear Members,

This email serves as a greeting from your new Chair, at the start of a transitional year for the Board. As outgoing Chair Piet-Louis has explained in his email of Friday, this transitional year was proposed at the 2016 AGM, as a period during which the Board will:

1 Have a constructive look at where we are as a Society and how we can improve the offering to members, and in so doing, grow the Society;

2 Spend some time making sure that we can put forward a suitable group of nominees for the next Board (who will sit from 1 Nov 2017 – 31 Oct 2019), and

3 Decide which objectives we should set for achievement during the next 11 months.

In discussions with several members of the Society, some clear objectives are beginning to emerge. There is a need for the Society to provide support to its members through pointing the way towards training and Continuing Professional Development (CPD) opportunities which not only comply with SACNASP requirements (where this is relevant), but which will ensure the empowerment and development of all members and the wetland community of practice as a whole.

Another focus area is the relationship between Provincial Forums and the Society. We feel that there could be more synergy between these groups as we essentially share the same overall objectives. Good work is being done by the forums and the Society, and we can build on this and provide support to forums that are battling to make progress.

We look forward to constructive engagement with members as we take these projects forward. The Society has created a new Board portfolio – namely, Communication. So watch this space for new and exciting modes of sharing information and debates!

Lastly, I would like you all to join me in thanking Piet-Louis Grundling for his many years of service as Chair of the Society. He has tackled the task with enthusiasm, commitment, and many good cups of coffee! He truly is a peatland warrior, and we all continue to be inspired by his passion for wetlands. Thank-you PL!

I would also like to join Piet-Louis in thanking Garth Barnes for his contributions to the Society Board, and in welcoming Denise Schael from NMMU as a co-opted Trustee.

I wish you all a relaxed break over the coming weeks – travel safely and take beautiful photos of our wetlands for the Society website!!

Kind regards,

Kate Snaddon
Chairperson
Senior Water Quality Advisor Vaal Barrage Catchment, Rand Water
Secretary, South African Wetland Society